Saturday, April 28, 2012

What's it like if a culinary school student throws a home party

I was invited to this lovely home party held by my classmate.
Being a student, she works in publishing and lives a very good life. Her sweet home is just few steps from "Shirogane Takanawa"station, which is known as a district where only elegant people can live;-)

Though my expectations were high, she really went way beyond them. She really can cook:-)
She told me that she loved alcohol so much that she's now making her own liquer. There were over 20 bottles of hand-made umeshu :-)














 I didn't know till she told me that it's prohibited by law to "serve" hand-made alcohol "for profit", or even "move" outside home! I guess this is the most ridiculous law ever but under Japanese law, if you make a liquer at home and bring it to a picnic, you're done ( Until 1962, it was illegal just to "make" own liquer at home ). It's all about tax.

Also I really liked her idea of mixing "chinese cabbage" in curry. You don't feel cabbageness at all but it absolutely enhances sweetness and makes a nice and smooth texture.  So many things to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment